We have been used to setting mailbox quotas to ensure that users are restricted to a certain limit and ensure Exchange Storage is also in control. This has traditionally resulted in users maintaining PST files (and multiple PST files), that have had their own share of problems like corruption, backups, etc. Personal Archive mailboxes help administrators overcome this PST nuisance, but at the same time it is imperative that administrators control quotas and growth of archive mailboxes. To achieve this administrators can configure archive mailboxes with an archive warning quota and an archive quota.
For Primary Mailbox there are 3 quota types:
- Issue Warning Quota – Only a warning threshold, when limit is reached, does not prohibit send/receive.
- Prohibit Send Quota – A hard limit, prevents user from sending mails on this limit is crossed.
- Prohibit Send and Receive Quota – A hard limit, prevents user from sending or receiving mails once this limit is crossed.
For Personal Archive Mailbox there are 2 quota types:
- Archive Warning Quota – Warns user of Quota being reached. (Default Value - 45 GB). An event is logged, and a warning message is sent to the mailbox user.
- Archive Quota – A hard limit, prevents user from adding items to Personal Archive once this limit is crossed. (Default Value - 50 GB). Messages are no longer moved to the archive, and a warning message is sent to the mailbox user.
- In Exchange Server 2010 RTM there was no Warning or Quota Limits for Personal Archives (i.e. it was unlimited)
- There are no specific archive quota messages. If a user’s archive is meeting or exceeding any quotas, they will receive mailbox quota messages.
To set the Archive Quota and Warning for a Personal Archive of a user, use the commands Set-Mailbox “UserName” –ArchiveWarningQuota:40GB and Set-Mailbox “UserName” –ArchiveQuota:45GB. For all Mailboxes in a Database or Server you can pipe with the command Get-Mailbox.
The error message that user would get when moving/copying messages to Archive, once Quota is exceeded can be
- “Some items couldn’t be copied. This many be because the folder has reached its size limit”
- “Some items couldn’t be moved. This many be because the folder has reached its size limit”
The Event that would be generated is as follows Event ID: 8528 Source: MSExchangeIS The mailbox for /o=Quest Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=UserName has exceeded the maximum mailbox size. This mailbox cannot send or receive messages. Incoming messages to this mailbox are returned to sender. The mailbox owner should be notified about the condition of the mailbox as soon as possible.
Current Personal Archive Size
To check the current Archive Size of the mailbox, use Get-MailboxStatistics -Archive “UserName” | Fl StorageLimitStatus, TotalItemSize
Quota Notification Schedule: The Quota Warnings are generated at a predefined Schedule which is set at the database level and can be modified. To Set custom quota notification schedule on a given Mailbox database: Set-mailboxdatabase -identity “DB2-Arch” -QuotaNotificationSchedule (”Sun.9:00 PM-Sun.9:15 PM”, “Mon.9:00 AM-Mon.9:15 AM”, “Tue.6:00 AM-Tue.6:15 AM”, “Wed.6:00 AM-Wed.6:15 AM”, “Thu.6:00 AM-Thu.6:15 AM”, “Fri.6:00 AM-Fri.6:15 AM”, “Sat.6:00 AM-Sat.6:15 AM”)
To Set custom quota notification schedule on all Mailbox databases: Get-MailboxDatabase | Set-mailboxdatabase -QuotaNotificationSchedule (”Sun.9:00 PM-Sun.9:15 PM”, “Mon.9:00 AM-Mon.9:15 AM”, “Tue.6:00 AM-Tue.6:15 AM”, “Wed.6:00 AM-Wed.6:15 AM”, “Thu.6:00 AM-Thu.6:15 AM”, “Fri.6:00 AM-Fri.6:15 AM”, “Sat.6:00 AM-Sat.6:15 AM”)